About Dr. Edward Bach
Dr. Edward Bach was born in England in 1886. He was plagued by ill health throughout his life. He initially trained as a medical doctor in London and became very successful both in public practice and in research. He was internationally recognized for his work in the laboratory studying the bacteriology of chronic disease. He also spent hours in the hospital wards treating and studying his patients.
Convinced a more natural system of healing existed, Bach left his hospital practice in 1930 at the age of 43. He moved to Wales and began looking for suitable herbs, which would help alleviate emotional states of mind and the various physical ailments that accompanied them. During the next six years, Bach worked incessantly, as he had during his entire medical career, to perfect his new system of creating health. He discovered and documented the use of 38 single flower remedies and one combination remedy, currently manufactured as Rescue Remedy and the Five-Flower Formula. He also developed the unique methods of preparing the flower essences, the “sun method” and the “boiling method.” These methods of preparation still exist today. Bach died at the age of fifty, in November of 1936.
Words from Author and Naturopathic Physician Jessica Bear
In her book Practical Uses and Applications of the Bach Flower Emotional Remedies, Jessica Bear wrote: “Bach watched carefully and noted the patients who were not improving. Despite the fact that the medication being received by all was the same, some patients did not improve. It was these patients that caused Bach to question and study further. He then recognized that the personality and attitudes of these patients seemed to be holding them back from recovery and healing.
Bear continues: “He (Bach) came to the realization that the personality-based responses and attitudes of the individual patient seemed to play a more important role in recovery than the particular medical treatment the body was receiving for the disease.”
Words from Dr. Bach
“This system of healing, which has been divinely revealed unto us, shows that it is our fears, our cares, our anxieties and such like that open the path to the invasion of illness. Thus by treating our fears, our cares, our worries and so on, we not only free ourselves from our illness, but the Herbs given unto us by the Grace of the Creator of all, in addition take away our fears and worries, and leave us happier and better in ourselves.”
“From time immemorial it has been known that Providential Means have placed in Nature the prevention and cure of disease, by means of divinely enriched herbs and plants and trees. The remedies of Nature given in this book have proved that they are blest above others in their work of mercy; and that they have been given the power to heal all types of illness and suffering.”
Websites with Free Educational Materials About Dr. Bach
This web site includes:
- the full text of the book Heal Thyself written in 1931 by Dr. Bach
- a history of Bach’s life including a timeline and photos
- listing of research papers, books, tapes and videos about Dr. Bach and the essences.
The Healing Herbs Company makes the Five-Flower Formula and the 38 single flower essences developed by Dr. Bach. This website is an amazing educational resource. It hosts:
- Free downloadable copies Dr. Bach’s Heal Thyself, The Travelers and Chronic Disease as well as other publications by additional authors.
- free recordings, videos and texts on how to understand and use the flower essences.
- video and recordings from Nicki Murray, one of the original teachers at Dr. Bach’s center
- material from Julian Barnard, a student of Nicki Murray, who founded the Healing Herbs Company in 1988
This web site is for the Dr. Edward Bach Centre at Dr. Bach’s former home at Mount Vernon in England. This site is very well done and informative. It has:
- free downloadable of copies of Dr. Bach’s Heal Thyself and The Twelve Healers and Other Remedies
- clear, complete instructions on how to mix and use the remedies for use in people
- information on educational programs and the flower essences